Melt Away Cookies **Egg Free***No Bake Option**

These type of cookies can go by many names, Russian tea cakes, snowballs, butter balls, Mexican wedding cakes, polvornes, butter nuts, ect… Whatever you call them, they are usually a favorite! My mother-in-law makes these with walnuts (I think!) and I LOVE them. As I was researching recipes, I found that any type of nut can be used, I saw one which included coconut which seemed like a good choice for keto to increase the fat, and best of all, no eggs are needed! So for those of you that are looking for egg free cookies, this is the one to try! I even used coconut oil to keep the entire recipe dairy free and vegetarian (vegan actually), so I hope this is helpful to you who need an option like this!

Secondly, you do not need to cook these to eat them.  Since there is no egg, it is safe to lick the spoon! The baking time is long and very low, about 170 degrees F (the lowest my oven would go). This is to “set” the outer crust of the cookie.  It gives it a little crispiness, and allows you to store them at room temperature. They will hold more fat, so for those of you at the higher ratio’s, don’t worry about adding extra oil or butter, just decrease the water a little. For lower ratio’s, decrease the shredded coconut and increase the coconut flour.

***Bobs Red Mill coconut flour has changed their nutrition values, the new calculation is posted in red***

5.11g protein   5.11

4.48g carbohydrate   3.98

299 calories   299

3.02:1 ratio   3.21:1

Melt Aways

22g english walnuts, ground

11g unsweetened shredded coconut, I like the “fine” shred by Let’s DO Organic

7g coconut flour, I am using Bob’s Red Mill

7g coconut oil, melted

1g pure vanilla extract

20g of water (use as much as you need to moisten the mixture)

sweetener of your choice

pinch of salt

***Please read our DISCLAIMER first!***

Could not be easier! Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined.  Allow the batter to chill in the refrigerator until you are able to roll it with your hands.  If you are using a powdered sweetener (like Truvia), reserve some from your calculated amount to roll the cookies in. You can eat these right away!

To bake these cookies, set them on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Set your oven temperature as low as it will go, mine was 170 degrees. Bake for 1 hour to dry the outer layer of the cookie.  I preferred the cookies this way, by my kids did not seem to care at all!

You could also press this batter into plastic candy molds and freeze it.  Once they are frozen, you can pop them out and then bake them so they will be fun holiday shapes. Here are a few options.. Christmas or Snowflakes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Fun Food, Snacks

24 Comments on “Melt Away Cookies **Egg Free***No Bake Option**”

1. Megan
    December 9, 2013 at 1:14 am #

Just made these for my toddler tonight. Thanks so much for the recipe. They turned out nicely even at a 4:1 ratio.

• December 10, 2013 at 6:19 am #

So glad to hear! Please share the adjustments you made, people always ask!

2. Amy
    January 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

So, what happened with the ratios? Any news? I do not use Bob’s Red Mill cox flour, I use the Let’s Do Organic Brand….My son is a 4:1 ratio and I would love to make this snack for him. Has anyone tried a higher ratio? Im assuming I add more oil and reduce water for sure but the amount I need to add will be significant! He is also only allowed 1.83g of carbs per meal so anyone tried these with such a low carb allowance?

• January 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

I have a call scheduled with Beth this week. We were waiting to hear back from both companies, I will let you know what happens as soon as I know!

• January 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

OK.. I finally have an update about the coconut flour! Bobs Red Mill has changed slightly. Old values: Pro – 2gm: Fat 1.5gm: Carb 10: Fiber 6
      NEW values: Pro – 2gm: Fat 2gm: Carb 8gm: Fiber 5gm
      The changes have been made in the keto calculator as well as “Let’s Do Organic” brand has been added.
      I updated the nutrition values of the recipe above. With the new coconut flour calculation, the protein stays the same, there are less carbs, calories decreased by 9 and the ratio increased from 3:1 to 3.21:1.
      Please review all of the recipes you have that include coconut flour!

• January 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Calories stayed the same…

3. Drema
    December 26, 2012 at 5:56 am #

I am quite concerned about the calculations I’m seeing here on your website. Your recipes look beautiful but the numbers seem way off. Have you checked with a dietician to verify your recipes?

• December 26, 2012 at 6:23 am #

Hi Drema,
      Yes, the recipes that I post are double checked by Beth Zupec-Kania at the Charlie Foundation. Most recipes on this site are calculated using the ketocalculator. If you are using a different method, the calculations will vary. Some recipes are approximations, and that will be noted.
      There has recently been a significant change in the nutrition information for Bobs Red Mill Coconut flour as well. Beth is currently working with the company to find out the correct info to update the ketocalc. This may result in ratios changing for any recipe that includes coconut flour.
      Lastly, if you are in a different region than I am, nutrition can vary even within the same brands of food. It is very unlikely that my ketocalculator will yield the same exact results as someone else’s. Some centers account for fiber, while others do not. If there are other specific recipes that have you concerned, please let me know which ones they are so I can double check them again. I would not want a recipe posted that is incorrect! I hope that I have answered your concerns. If not, please feel welcomed to e-mail me so I can figure out where the inconsistencies are occurring.

4. Dasia Pickett
    December 20, 2012 at 2:55 am #

Dawn,

Any suggestions for ketokids with nut allergies?

• December 20, 2012 at 3:14 am #

You could try increasing the coconut flour a little and increasing the coconut significantly. Eliminate the nuts altogether. The coconut flour will hold onto a LOT of fat. I think they should still turn out pretty good. If you try, let me know!

5. brekkenc
    December 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Now that you mention it Chau, I did my own calculation when I made these and got 2.05:1 ratio. I thought maybe the type of walnuts mattered? I don’t know that I had English walnuts, so I used nutritional information for black walnuts (which have more protein and less fat, so are lower ratio overall it appears) and thought that probably explained the lower ratio. The brand of coconut flour might matter too, if using a specific brand (I use Bob’s Red Mill) Thoughts?

• December 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Christy,
      Were you trying to get a lower ratio anyway? Most walnuts sold in grocery stores are english walnuts. Black walnuts would most likely be labeled as such…

• brekkenc
        December 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

No, I wasn’t going for a lower ratio but I was unsure about the type of walnuts I had so I went with the lower-ratio option. Then if she got more fat than I estimated there is no harm (at least not at these quantities–she just had about 20 g of the cookies). I will re-check my calculations and my walnuts. Thanks!

6. Chau Nguyen
    December 10, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

dawn, when i put the ingredients into ketocalculator i get a ratio of 2.31:1 (carbs 7.13, protein 5.58, fat 29.4). could there be a missing fat in your recipe? thanks1

• December 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I think you are using the black walnuts in your calculation. Make sure you choose english walnuts. If there is only one variety in your version, you will have to e-mail your dietitian. Let me know if that was the issue!

• Chau
        December 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I used English walnuts, which I think was the only walnut option in the calculator

• December 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Chau, I will ask Beth to double check the numbers in the keto calc. Please ask your dietitian to check her numbers as well, it is possible that there is a mistake (could be on either end). I double checked my calculation and I am still getting the same numbers…

• Chau Nguyen
        December 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

I think it is the type of coconut flour and the type of shredded coconut, both of those items have different nutritional profiles depending on the brand

7. brekkenc
    December 8, 2012 at 12:12 am #

I made these for Nora this afternoon and she was very happy! I put them in small candy molds as you suggested. Did you try increasing the ratio? Do you think it’s possible to replace some of the water with more fat (butter or coconut oil)? I’m curious but all baked-out today.

Tomorrow I plan to make the coconut cut-out cookies. How did you manage the cookie cutter shapes and weighing out the dough? Tips before I try?

• December 8, 2012 at 1:25 am #

Absolutely!, I would replace oil for the water equally part for part. I roll the sugar cookie dough and cut as many as possible. Re-roll the scraps (refrigerate if needed) and cut shapes again. Whatever is left over, I roll into little balls and bake with the cookies. I mix only one batch at a time with them. Happy cookie making!

• brekkenc
        December 8, 2012 at 1:44 am #

How do you make sure each cut-out cookie is the same weight? Or do you have another trick for knowing the nutrition breakdown for each cookie?

• December 8, 2012 at 1:48 am #

I make one 150 or 300 calorie batch and cut as many cookies as I can out of it. Charlotte gets to eat the whole thing! Dosent matter if it is one big cookie or 30 little cookies. Does that make sense? Were you trying to figure out how to give her just one at a time?

• brekkenc
        December 8, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Ah, yes, maybe I should do it that way. I was trying to figure out how to do it per cookie. Nora’s snacks are usually around 150 calories, which will also include the frosting. I will have to do some math before I start cutting cookies.

Anders has his first piano recital on Sunday, with refreshments to follow. I’m pretty sure that means Christmas cookies 🙂 Nora will be very happy to have her own beautiful cookies to enjoy!

• December 8, 2012 at 4:55 am #

OK… when you want to include the icing, I would calculate a 100 calorie cookie recipe and allot 50 calories for the icing. Again, let me know how it turns out!