Updated with VIDEO instructions! Caramel Sauce ***Method of Serving Fat***

*** To see a video of me making this caramel sauce, please click the link! Most of my work is now featured on The Charlie Foundation website. I hope the video instructions help clear up many of the questions!

Video Instructions Click HERE

Ketogenic & caramel are not usually two words that go together…EVER!  And caramel as a method of serving fat, not sugar??? I’m really not kidding! This is a really good replacement for traditional caramel, with the added benefit of it containing essentially  ZERO carbohydrate or protein, it is almost 100% fat.  This is a “make it and eat it” kind of recipe.  It will sit at room temperature for a few hours, but will eventually break and separate.  If you store it in the fridge, it will harden like butter.  You can make candies this way if you wish.  You will not be able to re-heat it and return it to a sauce like state after it has hardened. So plan ahead and be ready to cook this on the day you wish to serve it.  This would be wonderful drizzled on top of a pumpkin pie or apple crisp….  Hope you enjoy!

Approximately 22:1 Ratio

1 part butter, use salted if you like “salted caramel” flavor.  Use un-salted for traditional caramel flavor

1 part 40% heavy cream

Sweetener, I used 3g of Truvia

***Read out DISCLAIMER first!***

Use the smallest non-stick pan you have.  I have this 8-inch pan.  Melt the butter in the pan over LOW heat.

Let the butter cook until it begins to turn golden brown.  It is best to not rush this process because once it starts to turn brown it can quickly go too far and taste burnt.

Once the butter has turned light golden brown, remove the pan from the heat and add the cream and sweetener.

Immediately return the pan to the low heat and stir the cream into the butter.  The cream will foam and bubble, the cream should come to a full boil.  The cream and the butter may look separated, but keep stirring!

Once the bubbling has slowed and the ingredients are well combined, continue cooking until it has thickened and feels “sticky” (The bubbles will take longer to come to the surface).

This step only took about 1 minute for a batch of 60g cream and 60g butter, and a few seconds for the 12g batch.

Once you remove it from the heat, continue to stir until it begins to cool.  If you let it sit while it is hot, the butter and cream will separate. Continue to stir it for a few minutes and it will hold together as  a thick sauce. You can pour it into candy molds at this point if you wish.

Scrape the sauce into a cool dish and serve! (Read below for a 4:1 ratio snack example)

Snack Example 4:1 Ratio

This is a method that you can incorporate into any meal where you would like to serve caramel.  When you are calculating a meal, include butter and cream as your fat.  For example, I calculated a 4:1 ratio, 146 calorie snack of apples (no skin), butter and cream.

12g butter

12g 40% heavy cream

25.5g apples with no skin

Follow the process above for cooking the caramel.  It will go MUCH FASTER with a small amount like this.  The caramel will weigh significantly less than 24g (12g butter + 12g cream) after cooking.  This is only because water content has cooked out of both the butter and cream.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Fun Food, Snacks

46 Comments on “Updated with VIDEO instructions! Caramel Sauce ***Method of Serving Fat***”

1. Josef
    October 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

will work with stainless steel pan?

2. October 8, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

OMG. So, good. Don’t sell yourself short, this is fabulous. Thank you so much! If they’re not getting it brown, then they’re not browning the butter ahead of time. It took more than a minute for mine to get gooey.

3. Frank weir
    October 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

Just made this. Next time ill use unsalted butter. Salt intensifies as butter cooks down. Also i think you have to gain experience with this so you can match the color of the browned butter to the taste. I wanted greater carameling and deeper color. Now i know the color ill need next time! Thanks for this recipe! Going to use the left over carmel as a popcorn topping. With the salt, itll be perfect! Will make it specifically for carmel popcorn!

4. June 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

Hi! I made this last night. While mine didn’t have the color yours did, it definitely tasted like caramel. I added a little nutmeg and a just a little fresh lemon juice. It tastes great! I think I will also use it as a condensed milk. Thank you for this. It will come in handy. Also, mine did not separate when it cooled. I did make them into little candies. Thanks again!

5. alexisrbaker
    May 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

I found that jacking up the price after you add the cream is helpful, it thickens the mix without burning and essentially self stirs. make sure to watch it though, you don’t want it to burn. It will also help with the color issues people are having.

6. alexisrbakerAllie
    May 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

I find jacking up the heat after you add the cream helps. That way you get a steady boil which thickens the mix but doesn’t burn any settled pieces, it will also self mix essentially. When you do jack it up though make sure you watch it carefully.

7. Laura Laufer
    February 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Hi! This looks good. Just found out that I have a sensitivity to casein. Might try this with gheee but what do u suggest for the cream-possible coconut cream?

8. February 7, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Amazing recipe, so good and so simple! Pinned and shared :-) Thank you!

• February 8, 2014 at 3:22 am #

Thanks! So glad it worked well for you!

9. Emily
    January 27, 2014 at 8:31 am #

i just finished making this and it worked perfectly! Using it for a low carb caramel slice.

• January 27, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

So glad to hear it! I was thinking about renaming this as “the worlds most finicky caramel!”

10. November 17, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Just as the mix starts to thicken, all of a sudden it foams up, becomes incredibly runny, and it’s almost as if the cream just disappears. I’m continually stirring like mad but to no avail. Any thoughts? If I take it off the heat before this point, no matter how much I stir it still separates.

• December 10, 2013 at 6:32 am #

I’m sorry, I don’t know what is wrong… I’m going to revisit this recipe, possibly with a video tutorial.

11. November 17, 2013 at 9:15 am #

I’m having great difficulties in making this recipe, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Just as the butter and cream mixture begins to thicken over a low heat as I continually stir it, all of a sudden it foams up and it’s almost as if the cream just disappears – it resembles runny melted butter. If I remove it off the heat just before it goes all runny again, no matter how much I stir, it separates. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was the solution?

• November 27, 2013 at 4:43 am #

I’m sorry you are having trouble, I believe different varieties of cream are part of the inconsistency problems. I wish I could help more!

• March 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

I can’t get this to turn out either. It turns out as a batch of oil with little brown crumbly little pieces. I strained out the pieces and added it to the cheesecake yogurt for a caramel flavored yogurt, which was good, but I’d love to be able to figure out how to get this to look like the picture. What brands of cream/butter do you use?

12. Paula
    November 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Heyy do you think it could work with cream cheese?

• November 27, 2013 at 4:43 am #

I honestly have no idea!

13. Kelli
    October 14, 2013 at 5:14 am #

I made this and it tasted like butter and heavy cream. No where near Carmel flavored. Did I do so etching wrong?

• November 27, 2013 at 4:44 am #

Possibly not browning the butter?

14. Kati
    September 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

I’m going to try this with some canned coconut cream concentrate… Do you think it will turn out the same? And would it be a good idea to try grinding up the truvia into a fine powder ( coffee grinder method) before doing this, or do the granules make it do something in regards to mouthfeel? Thank you!

• November 27, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Please let me know if it worked! I think the Truvia should dissolve with no problem. Put a few drops of hot water on it first, this will help it dissolve.

15. Keto Chick
    June 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Hi, Don’t know if you still check these replies or not but have a question…
    I can’t for the life of me to get this to turn the right colour, Everytime I try it just ends up a light cream colour. Holds together and all but tastes and looks more like a butter candy would.
    I’ve tried cooking the butter longer until it was a darker golden colour but still ends up cream colour after adding the cream in… Any clue what I might be doing wrong?
    *Also in Canada so our heavy cream is a 35% whipping cream could that be the problem?

• June 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Try reducing the cream and butter mixer a little longer after adding the cream. This will never be exactly like carmel since there is no sugar! I have only tried this recipe with 40% cream, so that is probably a factor.

• November 27, 2013 at 4:48 am #

The butter can be pretty dark before adding the cream. And yes, although this is an ok sub for caramel, it will never fully replace real caramel!

16. Jenna
    January 18, 2013 at 4:39 am #

How much of each ingredient should be used?? Esp sweetner

• January 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

It is equal parts of butter and cream. I used 3g of Truvia for the snack portion size of 12g butter & cream. Make sure you keep stiffing after you take it off the heat, until it starts to thicken and cool.

17. carrie petersen
    December 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

this is awesome! thank youfor sharing it! question tho…after i removed it from the heat and got part of it poured into molds for candy it started separating out. is there a reason it did this? something i should do differently next time?

• December 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Continue stirring it for a few minutes after taking it off the heat. It needs to start cooling and that will keep it from separating. Then you can pour it into the candy molds, and it will stay together. Let me know how it goes!

• carrie petersen
        December 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

ah, ok…i poured basically after i took it off the heat. thanks, will definitely try these again!

• December 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Thanks for mentioning this, I just updated the instructions!

18. Katie
    November 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

Hi Dawn,
    Can you make this in a batch form? Not sure how much you lose when cooking it. Thanks!

• December 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Hi, you can make this in a batch form but there is no way to calculate how much you loose when cooking it. However many batches you make (say 4) divide the final cooked recipe by 4 according to the total cooked weight. The recipe will weigh much less than it’s pre-cooked weight, but as long as you evenly divide it when it is finished, you will have the correct amount of fat and calories. Hope that helps!

19. November 16, 2012 at 1:28 am #

wow yum! I wonder if it would work with a dairy free cream?

• November 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

I’m sure it would! If you try, please let us know.

20. Julie
    November 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Hi Dawn,
    I am having trouble with it being separated – so it’s like a pile of brown bits and lots of liquid. Im thinking I’m cooking it too high, but it’s on as low as it goes. I hate my stupid electric stove!!! :o) Anyhow, is there anything else I might be doing wrong?

• November 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

HI Julie,
      I think you may be cooking the butter a little too long to start… It should be golden in color when you add the cream, not dark brown. Secondly, I think you are not cooking it long enough after adding the cream. The cream should come to a boil when first added. It will look like it is separated, but as you continue stirring and cooking it will eventually combine with the butter and start to reduce. If your cream does not boil, your stove it not hot enough. Let me know how it goes…

• Jay
        November 27, 2013 at 3:21 am #

I’m seeing what Julie was seeing — I’d love to see a video of this.

The crunchy brown bits, while not exactly caramel, were certainly delicious.

• November 27, 2013 at 4:40 am #

Yes, this has proved to be a difficult recipe for sure! I am considering working with someone who can help me create video tutorials for several recipes. I will update this post if I do!

21. Tonya
    November 9, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Will this work with Davinci caramel sugar-free syrup or another flavored liquid sweetner?

• November 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

I THINK it will work fine with the syrups, just keep in mind that the flavors will be very concentrated after cooking. You may want to start with less than what you think you will need.

22. Grammy
    November 9, 2012 at 4:05 am #

I know first hand how good this taste!!

1. keto banana caramel pie - September 6, 2014

[…] I combined two existing keto recipes – Ruled.Me’s keto pie crusts, and KetoCook’s caramel sauce. But what about the banana? Banana isn’t low carb, or keto friendly. No, no it isn’t. […]

2. May have crossed the line - Page 2 - February 14, 2013

[…] Mar2a, my uncle ALWAYS buttered his grilled steaks! Here is a link to the nommy caramel. It is really easy, but you must watch it. I used 4 TBS butter, 4 TBS cream, and 1TBS eryth for mine. Caramel Sauce ***Method of Serving Fat*** | ketocook […]

3. Thanksgiving | ketocook - November 17, 2012

[…] will be having a dessert as a meal! I will also be posting a Caramel Apple Pecan Pie using the carmel sauce from last […]