Jello Roll Ups

I don’t use Jello that often, but sometimes it makes a special treat.  Some people can do Jello, some can’t, but if you can, these are a great snack that could easily be incorporated into a birthday party, class party, or any other celebrations that would involve fun food.

I found this recipe on the Kraft Food site, the original uses marshmallows, so it was easy to swap them out for the heavy cream.  After a quick search, I found these all over the internet, I think the best example is this one.  I love that they used all the colors to make it look festive.  The most fun part about these, is the kids (or you;) can un-roll them and play with them a little.  Kids are naturally silly, and this is a super kid friendly recipe.  They will also sit out on a platter with no problem.  It just cant be very hot or in the direct sun.

On Thursday morning, I leave for CHICAGO! I can hardly believe it is here already… I have finished packing and I am actually bringing more cooking supplies than clothes!  I’m so excited to meet some of you on family day and super excited to share some of the recipes (bread is one of them) that I have been saving especially for the conference.  If you are going to be there, please stop by and say hi!

3.5:1 Ratio

about 23 calories per slice

makes about 16 slices

1 package (about 10g) Sugar Free Jello powder, any flavor is ok

89g 40% heavy cream

26g water

Set 2g of the Jello powder aside.  Grease an 8×8 pan with any plain floavor oil (not coconut oil).  Make sure all the corners have been lightly coated with the oil.

Heat the heavy cream in a small microwave safe bowl.  The cream should be hot.  Add 8g of the Jello powder to the cream and stir until it is completly dissolved.

Pour the cream into the pan and make sure it is covering the entire bottom of the pan.  Put the pan into the refrigerator to allow the Jello to set up.  Make sure the pan is on a level surface! The Jello will only take a few minutes to set up.

Heat the water in a small bowl until it is hot.  Add the remaining 2g of Jello to the hot water and stir until it is all dissolved.  Pour the water/Jello mixture over the cream layer.  It will look very thin at the higher ratios.  Make sure it covers the cream layer as evenly as possible. Return the pan to the refrigerator and allow the Jello to completely set up.

To remove the Jello, lift one edge with a scraper and begin to roll it up while it is still in the pan.  When it is completely rolled, set it on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it tightly.  Return it to the refrigerator until you are ready to slice it.  A knife worked fine for me.  I cut it into 1/2 inch pieces and got about 16 slices.

Notes

For lower ratios, reduce the cream and replace it with the same amount of water.  The total liquid should be about 1/2 cup.

For 4:1 ratio, it will be almost entirely cream for the liquid.  This is fine, there will not be a 2 toned effect, just the “creamy” side.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Birthdays, Dessert, Fun Food, Snacks

10 Comments on “Jello Roll Ups”

1. A. Murphy
    March 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Dawn, I am a little confused. When I calculated this using Jello 10 grams and Cream 40% 89 grams, the ratio is really high (8.9:1). What am I doing wrong? In order to get my daughter”s prescribed 4:1 ratio, I am calculating the need for Cream 40% at 40 grams and water at 75 grams. Any thoughts?

• April 12, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Hi, Sorry I missed this comment! What type of jello are you using for the calculation? There is a huge difference between prepared and powdered jello. If that is not the problem, please let me know!

• A. Murphy
        April 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

We are using the sugar free powder jello.

• April 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

OK, I will look into this!

2. Kristine
    September 25, 2012 at 3:17 am #

My son would love this treat, but he is allergic to dairy. Do you think it would work if I used his coconut milk? The canned coconut milk is thick like cream?

• September 25, 2012 at 3:22 am #

Yes, this will work with ingredients other than cream. The ratio may turn out lower when you use coconut milk. Some additional fat may be needed on the side depending on your ratio. Another mom was experimenting with soy creamer… please let us know if it worked!

3. Michelle
    September 23, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Hi Dawn I had a lot of trouble rolling it in the pan without it breaking. Next time I will use extra oil to grease the pan and I wonder about adding gelatine to make it a bit stronger to work with? What do you think…? Maybe our Australian jello is not as strong as the brand you use. I think it is a great fun recipe – thanks for posting! Michelle

• September 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

Hi,
      My roll was a little hard to get started… I dipped the bottom of the pan into hot water to help it loosen. Once I started the roll, it didn’t crack. Adding extra gelatin if you can would definitely help with breaking.

4. September 21, 2012 at 9:05 am #

HI Dawn,
    what a gorgeous recipe! i can’t wait to try it. Caspian is at a 4:1 ratio, and dairy free but I will give it a go with the 21 % soy cream I have and add a syringe of oil like you do often. i must say again how wonderful it is to have this site, when I am struggling myself, thank you!!

• September 23, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Let me know if it works with the soy creamer! I hope he likes it.