Macadamia Nut Doughnuts, Pancakes, or Waffles!

This recipe is based on the Charlie Foundation’s waffles.  I eliminated the cream at one point just because I ran out!  I never added it back in and they turn out great.  I have cooked these is just about every small appliance, fun shaped pan, even in cupcake liners in a toaster oven… it ALWAYS works!  One thing to note is that they puff up a lot… if you put them in something like a Babycakes Doughnut Maker, do not let the latch lock in place.  The lid will need to lift as they cook so you don’t end up with batter shooting out the sides!

284 Calories

3.5:1 Ratio

42g raw egg mixed very well

19g macadamia nuts, ground into butter

10g melted coconut oil

pinch of baking powder

Mix all of the ingredients together very well.  Add a few drops of stevia or a pinch of cinnamon if desired.  Cook in appliance or pan of your choosing!   I have learned from experience that you need to cook these longer and slower than traditional waffles or pancakes.  The longer you cook them, the more they will dry out, this is what you want because the oil will replace the moisture from the egg, but they will not be oily.  This also helps them not have an egg-y texture when they are cooked.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Lunch

10 Comments on “Macadamia Nut Doughnuts, Pancakes, or Waffles!”

1. Jennifer Cardillo
    June 23, 2013 at 10:47 am #

This is one of the best recipes that you’ve included on the site. My daughter loves these! For school, we substitute group sesame seeds or group pumpkin seeds since the schools are nut free. They still take great.

2. Joelle
    May 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Hi there,
    I’m new to adjusting recipes to make a new one on ketocalculator.
    My son will be 3 in July and we are going on a 3 day trip so I want to trial all these foods you suggest and hope I can pack them for him.
    How can I adjust this to work for a 4:1 ratio, 275 cal/meal?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Joelle

• May 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Hi Joelle, I am not able to assist others with re-calculations since everyones nutritional needs are so different and precise while on the KD. Over all, you would reduce all of the ingredients by a small amount and increase the fat to reach the 4:1 ratio. Don’t worry about the recipe too much… it is a very flexible recipe that will usually turn out well even with lots of changes.

3. September 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

I used a doughnut maker (Rival) and with a 3:1 ratio, I had to fill the pan twice to get the whole recipe done. I thought it was a little time consuming. I did find a Wilton mini doughnut pan that yeilds 12 mini doughnuts and with the 3:1 ratio, it was perfect! 12 mini doughnuts!!! Done in a flash! :)

• September 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Glad to know it works in the pan as well. thank you for sharing!

4. Lori Bollow
    August 8, 2012 at 4:54 am #

The “doughnut holes” came out GREAT in the cake pops pan. Baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. My 4 year old loved them. The recipe made exactly 4 doughnuts and we served them with a small side of Walden Farms Strawberry Syrup for dipping sauce and a little applesauce with oil. Looks like they will freeze well too! Thanks for this website and all of your wonderful recipes :)

• August 8, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I’m so glad to hear! They do freeze very well, I always have a stash in my freezer…

5. Lori Bollow
    August 5, 2012 at 4:40 am #

I am excited to make these for my son! Do you think this recipe would work in a cake pops pan? Just bought this kind of pan today with this recipe in mind. Do you have any suggestions regarding baking temperature and time as well as adding baking soda or baking powder to make them fill the spherical shape of the pan? I will experiment and let you know how they turn out.

• August 5, 2012 at 4:52 am #

Yes, it think they would work fine in a cake pop pan. I have not tried that specifically, however I have made them in muffin liners. If you have the type of pan that is two parts (one with a top that snaps on) I would not worry about adding baking powder or soda and my guess is that 350 degrees would be perfect. If it is a one piece pan, I would add a little of both and go with a lower temperature to help them retain their shape while baking. My experience has been that need to be cooked longer than you expect… This helps the moisture from the egg cook out. They will not be soggy or deflate much if you cook them long enough.

I often add cinnamon and vanilla to enhance the flavor. I hope they turn out and your son likes them!

1. 3-Day Cooler Bag & TSA Info | ketocook - September 8, 2012