cinnamon bun muffins

Ratio 2:1

Makes 6 mini muffins (for each muffin: Calories 64, 0.87g of carb)

yummy yummy yummy… enjoy this treat!  We sometimes buy sticky cinnamon bread at the  farmers market and this is the alternative for Clara.

this recipe is adapted from here.

Muffins

1.5T (21g) Greek yogurt, Fage Total Classic

1T (15g) Walden Farms pancake syrup

1/2 (25g) egg

1/4C (28g) almond flour

1/16t (0.3g) sea salt

1/8t (0.6g) baking soda

1T (14g) butter, softened

Cinnamon topping

1/2T (3g) ground cinnamon

1T (15g) Walden Farms pancake syrup

1/2T (7g) european style butter, melted

1T chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix all the dry ingredients for the muffins.  Mix all the wet ingredients for muffins and combine well with the dry ingredients.

Mix the cinnamon topping ingredients together and set aside.

in a greased mini muffin pan, pour the batter half way up.  add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon topping in the center, then pour the muffin batter to 3/4 way to the top.  if you are using walnuts, you can top it at this time (i left it out since clara doesn’t like the texture with it).  pour rest of the toppings on top.  give it a little stir with a toothpick.

Bake at 325F (preheated) for 15-17 minutes.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dessert, Snacks

Author:Tiffany

Tiffany started making keto meals for her daughter Clara in 2010, after Clara’s diagnosis with Infantile Spasm. While tough at times, managing between the strict requirements of the diet, Clara’s very sophisticated sense of taste, an older daughter whose overwhelming enthusiasm to help is only rivaled by her ability to make a much bigger mess in the process, and a dog who is determined to eat Clara’s leftovers to the detriment of her own waistline, Tiffany is grateful that her hands are being used to heal Clara. Tiffany hopes this website would be especially helpful to those working or single moms who do not have the time to design and try out new meals. Bon appetit to all the keto kids in the world!

14 Comments on “cinnamon bun muffins”

1. December 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

I made this, and they came out awesome! I made the following changes: Instead of yogurt I used sour cream(whole fat daisy). Instead of the maple syrup, I used 1g of liquid stevia(1g in muffin batter and then 1g in cinnamin mixture). In the muffin recipe, I increased butter to 30g, and in the cinnamin mixture I increased butter to 14g. Thanks for the great recipe Tiffany! 🙂 Doing this, they are 3.8:1. 🙂

2. Sarah M.
    July 1, 2014 at 4:13 am #

If I leave out the walnuts, is this still 2:1 ratio? Thank you!

• July 9, 2014 at 4:29 am #

i left walnuts as optional, so didn’t calculate it into the ratio. the ratio 2:1 is without walnuts. hope that helps…

3. Stephanie
    January 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm #

This is an excellent recipe! I make these every week for my daughters school snack (for about 4 months now!!!)! For variety I change around the flavors of the syrup. Strawberry-caramel, strawberry-chocolate, chocolate-marshmallow, etc. So many different combinations are possible – which makes it nice for me – she doesn’t get tired of them! If you fill the muffin tin up halfway with the muffin mix, put the topping on next, then add a bit more muffin mix they taste almost like filled doughnuts! Thank you!!!!

4. Gia
    August 11, 2013 at 3:19 am #

Could I use coconut flour instead of almond flour for this recipe?

• August 14, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Gia,
      It should be fine to sub the almond flour with coconut flour. However, coconut flour tends to soak up all the liquid, so you might want to try starting with 2T of it and slowly add more if needed. You might need to play around with it a bit to find the right amount to replace. the thickness should be similar to any other cake batter. Let us know how it goes!

5. February 13, 2013 at 3:03 am #

These were delicious! I didn’t have yogurt so I used sour cream instead which I realizes might change the specs just a little bit. Thank you for the recipe!

• February 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

I’m so glad the recipe worked out for you! clara gets excited just smelling the cinnamon baking =)

6. September 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

I need to lower the ratio for this also could I add applesauce and if so will it change consistency too much if so what should I take out?

• September 13, 2012 at 1:34 am #

this is currently at 2:1. if you need to lower the ratio, i would try lowering the butter in the batter, and increasing the yogurt. omitting the butter in cinnamon topping might help too but since you are not using the WF syrup, that might not be possible, unless you just mix in the cinnamon into the batter.

i usually don’t use apple sauce in my baking since i don’t like the rubbery texture it gives but i never tried it with almond flour, so maybe you can tell me how it turns out! another reason i don’t use apple sauce for keto baking is because they are high in carb, and i want to lower the carb as much as possible so clara can eat more of it. she is only allowed 10-15g of carb per day.

let me know how you modify the recipe and how it turn out. i’m sure it will be helpful for other moms.

• September 14, 2012 at 12:44 am #

Thanks so much Tiffany for the tips I will have to try it out! Funny how everyone’s tastes/textures are different I have always like applesauce because it makes baked goods so moist. As for the higher carb Josie actually gets a lot of carbs a day so that isn’t a concern….Thanks though for thinking of that! Will let you know either way when I get the chance to try these!

7. September 8, 2012 at 11:48 am #

We don’t use any of the Walden Farms products because it’s not all natural and half of the ingredients we don’t know what they are…..do you have any suggestions as to what we could use in place of the syrup? Hope you can help….Thanks!

• September 10, 2012 at 1:17 am #

For the batter, you can leave out WF syrup and increase the yogurt and butter and add Truvia, or any sweetener you like to use for your child. for the cinnamon mix, leave out the syrup and add Truvia or any other sweetener you normally use. hope this helps!

1. Keto Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing - warfieldfamily - February 22, 2013

[…] I was craving cinnamon rolls, and so found a recipe HERE from the Keto Cook’s Blog.  […]