Baked Pork Buns

I had leftover pork loin and another keto cookie experiment I did recently turned out extra “bread like” which did not work well for cookies! I was thinking about how I could use the bread quality to my advantage and steamed pork buns popped into my head.  I thought it would work perfectly and it did! I didn’t risk steaming them because I was worried about loosing some of the fat.  While some of the butter cooked out, it quickly soaked back in after removing them from the oven.  I suspect you could also try cooking them in the microwave to mimic steaming.  I did not try it, so if you do.. comment and let me know how it goes!  While this recipe is not “traditional” it still tastes really good!

Makes One Serving

8.56g protein

2.64g carbohydrate

452 calories

4.02:1 ratio

Pork Buns

Ingredients:

20.5g macadamia nuts, ground into butter

20g egg, raw, mixed well

15g butter, room temperature

13g coconut oil, melted, (substitute 1-2g roasted sesame oil for additional flavor)

10g pork tenderloin, cooked, diced very small

4g almond flour, Bob’s Red Mill

3g Truvia, divided in half (use your choice of sweetener if you do not use Truvia)

2.5g coconut flour, Bob’s Red Mill

2.5g soy sauce, Kikkoman

0.5g chili powder (use half Chinese Five Spice if you like)

0.5g baking powder

o.5g baking soda

0.5g xanthan gum (not calculated, gives the dough the “bread-like” consistency.  The recipe may not work if it is omitted)

pinch of garlic powder

Directions:

***Read our DISCLAIMER first!***

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the pork, soy sauce, chili powder, half of the sweetener, and the garlic powder with 5g of the room temperature butter.  Stir until well combined and the mixture resembles a thick paste.  Set aside.

In a second bowl, combine the remaining butter, coconut oil, almond flour, coconut flour, macadamia nuts, remaining sweetener, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum.  Stir until all the ingredients have dissolved into the fat.  Add the egg to the mixture and continue to stir until the dough has absorbed all the egg and thickened.

Drop small spoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet.  I made 5 individual buns.  Use wet fingers to press a small indentation into the center of each bun.

Divide the pork filling into 5 portions and place it in the center of each bun.

Using wet fingers again, pinch and pull the sides of the bun up and over the filling.  Try to pinch the tops closed.

Bake for 9-12 minutes in the 350 degree oven.  If some of the butter leaks out, just let them sit on the parchment paper while they cool.  The butter will soak back in.

Allow them to cool very well before serving to young kids, the center may be extremely hot!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Dinner, Lunch

11 Comments on “Baked Pork Buns”

1. November 25, 2013 at 5:36 am #

pork buns looks delicious and yummy,,,,recipe seems easy to me…I’m sure my kids and my husband will like them to eat..I can’t wait any more to try it at home ..thanks for sharing such a great recipe

2. Chau
    May 1, 2013 at 4:11 am #

Hi dawn, My batter seemed thin, so I made the buns in silicone cups. I did use xantham gum. Mine turned out more crumbly and muffin-like than bread-like. I was afraid to overlook them, but I couldn’t get that nice outer crust that you have in the picture. The bottoms were soggy which is probably due to the silicone cups. Any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong. The flavor was great, would love to get them looking like yours!

• May 3, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Hi Chau, Do you keep the mac nut butter refrigerated? I think this may be the issue for thin batter. I make a large batch of mac nut butter and store it in the fridge. It is a lot stiffer than when I first make it at room temp. If thats not the problem, then let me know!

• chau
        May 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

i do keep it in the fridge. do you think it was using the silicone cups that prevented me from getting the nice bready crust that you have?

• May 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

Possibly, it will keep all of the moisture in. The dough was very sticky when I shaped them. I drop it with a spoon onto the paper. Try letting the dough sit for a minute longer. Sometimes the xanthan gum takes a few minutes to thicken and absorb the liquid. Did you have to change the ratio??

• chau
        May 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

I kept the dough recipe the same and slightly changed the filling to lower ratio.

• chau
        May 4, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

will try to let it sit… i often try to get it in the oven quick to help the baking powder work best. thanks for the tips!

• May 4, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Hi Chau,
        I hope that works better for you. The only other idea I had was the liquid from the filling may make the bottoms soggier. Try baking them on parchment, some of the fat cooked out but it went back in as they cooled. You could also try increasing the oven temp a little. I hope it works!!

3. Jordan
    April 20, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

This looks great !!!! My son has only 12 recipes he likes(4 breakfast,4 lunch and 4 dinner) I hope this will make 13!!!! 🙂

• April 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

I hope so too!

4. Grammy Martenz
    April 19, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Good use of leftover pork!