Big Announcement!

I am SO excited and honored to announce I have partnered with The Charlie Foundation to create and share “Charlie Foundation Approved” ketogenic recipes! All recipes with the Charlie Foundation symbol have been personally approved by Beth Zupek-Kania as ketogenic meals or snacks.   The recipes will be posted on the main Charlie Foundation Site as well as Ketocook.com.

The ketogenic diet as a treatment for epilepsy is growing in popularity everyday.  The stigma of “an unpalatable diet” and meals consisting of “a stick of butter and 1 grape” as Jim Abrahams puts it,  is becoming an idea of the past. Hopefully when a family first learns about the ketogenic diet, they will be presented with pictures and recipes of normal looking food.  They will NOT hear the diet is too hard to even attempt.

I am thrilled to move forward with creating and providing ketogenic recipes in a reputable, safe format.  Hopefully this will become a resource that aids in increased compliance from parents and kids alike and improves the chances of success while being treated with the diet.  I need to say a HUGE thank you to Jim & Nancy Abrahams and Beth Zupec-Kania for their support and this wonderful opportunity!

These symbols indicate the recipe has been approved by Beth Zupec-Kania.  The recipe will also be featured on the main Charlie Foundation site

Follow the Charlie Foundation on Facebook and Twitter, they want to hear from you!

The Charlie Foundation Facebook Page

The Charlie Foundation Twitter Page

And just incase you didn’t know already, it’s not too late to sign up to attend The Charlie Foundation’s Third International Symposium: Dietary Therapy for Epilepsy & Other Neurological Disorders

September 19-22, 2012 at Chicago Hilton Indian Lakes Resort.  You have until August 31st to reserve your spot!  They have a fun and information packed family day planned: you’ll hear from Dr. Kossoff, the highlights from the professional symposium will be presented, keto parents will share their own experiences, and I will be there sharing recipes, including BREAD!

That’s right, I said bread… I have been working on this recipe for a long time, I finally perfected it and I hope it will knock your socks off!  This is not just low-carb bread, it can be adjusted to fit ANY RATIO from 1:1 all the way through 4:1.  Each bite is ketogeniclly balanced and contributes to daily fiber and protein requirements.  I can’t wait to share this recipe with you, See you in Chicago!

Tags:

Categories: Charlie Foundation Approved, Resources

13 Comments on “Big Announcement!”

1. Jordan
    September 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Hi Dawn,
    I am so sorry to bring this up again but is the bread recipe same as the rolls?? Or did I just miss it? Thanks again,Jordan(Sawyer)

• September 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Hi Jordan,
      Yes the rolls are the same as the bread. I kept them in single serve portions because of the psyllium husks… they contain 1 serving of the recommended dose for kids 6-12. You can make the recipe into any shape you want, just keep the final serving limited to the size of the rolls. You can bake it into pretzel shapes, loafs, or flat wraps. I will be posting various alterations in the coming weeks. I hope you like them!

2. Jordan
    September 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

For those who cannot make it to Chicago,I hope you share your bread recipe on you ketocook.com site.I think every Keto kid cant wait!!!! Good luck in Chicago and thank you for all your hard work for every Keto kid out there!!! Jordan(Sawyer)

• September 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I will be posting the recipes from the conference on Saturday!

• September 23, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

The recipes are all posted!

3. August 17, 2012 at 1:40 am #

I’m always amazed by you! I can’t wait to hear about the bread.

• August 18, 2012 at 12:38 am #

Thanks Laurie, hope all is well!

4. susie
    August 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

My daughter has been on the ketogenic diet for 5 years. Your site has gotten me re engergized about the diet again. I am so thankful for your hard work and now that you are partnered with the Charlie foundation it will be even better. Congraulations!

• August 18, 2012 at 12:41 am #

It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut, especially when you’re dealing with this relentless diet. I hope your daughter is enjoying new recipes and ideas!

5. brekkenc
    August 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Congratulations Dawn! Fabulous work. You have made a tremendous difference in the lives of many families and kids. I am thinking about coming to Chicago!

• August 18, 2012 at 12:43 am #

Please come to Chicago if you can, there is going to be a lot of information available. Family day will be a summary of everything from the professional days. I would love to swap recipes with you!

6. Randlyn
    August 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Congratulations! I think you both have lucked out with this partnership. Good meals can be made with the diet and your recipes prove it! Hope it inspires medical teams to consider keto for their patients!

• August 18, 2012 at 12:44 am #

Thanks for your support Randlyn!