Fluffy Almond Pancakes **MAD**

I have been making these for MONTHS, trying to perfect them.  I just could not get past the grittiness of almond flour in pancakes!  I’m convinced, the only way around this is to buy blanched almonds (ones with no brown skin) and grind them into butter.  NOT flour, it has to be butter.  As smooth as you can get it!  I also really love the combination of lemon juice, almond extract and Walden Farms Blueberry Syrup.  Let me know what you think!

388 calories

1.5:1 ratio

10g butter

54g raw egg, mixed well

10g fresh lemon juice

5g almond extract

40g ground blanched almonds (use almond flour to calculate this)

2g baking powder

2g baking soda

Add in syrup of your choice, I recommend Walden Farms Blueberry Syrup

Melt the butter in a small microwave safe bowl.  Add the egg, lemon juice and extract to the melted butter and stir to combine.  Add the almond butter, baking powder and soda, stir until everything is evenly distributed.   Use spray oil on a non stick flat griddle.  The heat should be medium high.  Pour the batter in to small 3 inch pancakes.  Cook until you see bubbles forming on the tops and the edges look dry.  Flip to cook the other side.

If your pancake batter keeps spreading on the griddle and the edges are paper-thin, the heat is too low and they will never be fluffy!  The batter should “round” and puff up around the edges almost immediately when you pour the batter onto the griddle.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast

8 Comments on “Fluffy Almond Pancakes **MAD**”

1. meghan
    September 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Hi Dawn, I’m confused about the almonds. The ingredients say to use almond powder but the directions reference almond butter.Should I ground up whole almonds into a butter or use almond flour? I’m guessing flour from the title of the recipe! thanks!

• September 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

I specified almond flour for the calculation because almond flour is just blanched almonds ground into flour. They will have the same nutritional content. You can use almond flour if you want, they will not have as fine of a texture.

• Erin
        January 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

The confusion stems from this, and I myself would like some clairifcation even still.

“40g ground blanched almonds (use almond flour to calculate this)” and then you go on to say this in the directions: “Add the almond butter, baking powder and soda, stir until everything is evenly distributed. ”

There is a big difference between almond butter, and almond meal (and even almond flour if you really want to get technical). So is it a situation where you want us to use almond butter, or do you want us to use ground “almonds, butter, etc” ?

These look amazing, and I cannot wait to make them.

• January 13, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Sorry for the delay in replying! I updated the instructions a little… In the first paragraph, I stated to buy blanched almonds and grind them into a smooth butter using a food processor. I mentioned the “almond flour” because if you are following the medical version of the keto diet you will need to know what to choose in the ketocalc to calculate the meal for the correct ratio and calories.

I am not referring to “almond butter” as they type you buy pre-made in the jar (although you could try using it anyway!) I have personally never seen blanched almonds ground into a smooth butter, which is what I wanted for the recipe.

Although I prefer the blanked almonds ground into butter, you can still use almond flour, the pancakes will just have a “grainy” texture opposed to a smoother, fluffier texture using the “homemade” butter. I hope I cleared up any confusion!

2. Buchholtz, Julie A., R.D., L.D.
    August 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Do you have any recipes that have been successful with any other nut meal except macadamia? Thank you!

• August 28, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I’m not sure I understand your question exactly… I have numerous recipes posted with nuts other than macadamia (smores, faux meal cookies and peanut butter cookies). If you are specifically asking about pancake recipes, You could use any other nut butter/meal in place of the almond butter. Pecan or hazel nut would be a good option, the ratio will change according to the nut used. I recommend using a butter over a meal for smoother, fluffier texture.

If I did not answer your question, please comment again or email me. ketocookmail@gmail.com

3. Amelia Gil
    August 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Hola Mama; te escribo de Chile. mi hija Camila esta con dieta cetogenica hace casi 7 años, lamentablemente ella no mastica, asi que solo come leche y colados modificados a la proporción. Pero con la ayuda de tu pagina he realizado recetas nuevas a otra familia y Valentina las disfruta mucho.
    Muchas Gracias por lo que haces día día, bendicones a tu familia e hija especialmente.

Amelia Gil

• August 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Estoy muy feliz de saber que has sido capaz de hacer las comidas que le gusta! Espero que tengan éxito continuo con la dieta cetogénica. Si mi español no es correcta, echarle la culpa a Google traductor!